Teaching Drum Outdoor School (Midwest Schools in General)

Free discussion about schools that teach wilderness survival, tracking, and nature. Share experiences, make inquiries, provide praise and critiques, recommend a school, notices of classes, etc.

Moderators: admin, Walter Muma

Teaching Drum Outdoor School (Midwest Schools in General)

Postby TK98 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:05 pm

I'm new to the forums, but not at all to this great site. I have basic knowledge of outdoor survival and would love to get the hands-on teaching from an expert. I have read some positive and negative things about this program but figured you all might have other opinions.

The Teaching Drum school is based in the upper part of Wisconsin. I was wondering if anyone here has heard of them or has had any experience with their programs. If so, was it a good experience? What can you tell me about the teachers/guides? Let me know anything that would help me to decide whether or not to look more into this school.

If anyone knows about any other schools around the midwest that are good quality and not too expensive, please let me know of those as well. I live in the chicagoland area to give you all a reference for where I could go for the schools.

Thanks a lot everyone,

TK
TK98

Re: Teaching Drum Outdoor School (Midwest Schools in General)

Postby coon4492 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm not farmiliar with the school but i'm sure they have a website you could check out ive been looking for a good school I might take a few classes there if i don't go to the closer tracker school in new jersey ill let u no if its any good if i go.
"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Aquacopter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:56 pm

MTV did a True Life episode on them a while back where they followed to kids through there course. It might give you a better take on how you would learn there.
http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/286338/w ... id=1596326

As for opinions on schools I have only ever been to Tom Browns Tracker school. I enjoyed my for classes there very much and would go back. The only problems are that you do not cement your skills there you just touch on each subject enough so that you are able to get it once you get home. As for other schools I have a couple bookmarked for if I ever win the lottery.
Midwest Native Institute: http://www.survivalschool.com/
Maine Primitive skills: http://www.primitiveskills.com/links.html
I use to have a lot more links but I lost all my old bookmarks. The key is to just use a google and look around for them.
Hope this helps.
Aquacopter

Postby TK98 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have actually already looked at both links you provided. Almost all of the survival school websites make the school seem like they are top notch. I just was looking for the personal experiences anyone may have had to give me a less biased opinion of the school.

I did not know about the MTV show. I will definitely check that out. Hopefully that will show it how it really is and not edit it too much for TV.

Thanks again for the replies.

TK
TK98

Postby OzaawaaMigiziNini » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:00 pm

I have done research on the Teaching Drum, some of which has been positive. However much of it has been negative, especially from the native peoples that Tamarack Song claims to be a part of.

He claims/claimed to be of the Owl Clan of the Ojibway (Anishnaabe) nation. A lot of Anishnaabe have been up in arms about his claims.

I've also heard rumours of sexual harrassment from him to female students. But I haven't seen any solid evidence of such, so it may just be that, rumours.

Personally, as a First Nations born man, the idea of a business "teaching how to live Native" is a bit hurtful, and somewhat insulting.

The fact that it's a few grand per student, per month.. again, just doesn't sit well personally with me.
And when they heard of the dead, some mocked... and others said we will hear thee again, of this matter - Acts 17:32
OzaawaaMigiziNini

Return to Wilderness Survival & Tracking Schools & Classes