eyesight

Discussions about limb and eye dominance, and the effect of these on tracks and tracking.

Moderators: admin, Walter Muma

eyesight

Postby Kingoftheflock » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:41 pm

im almost blind.
Kingoftheflock

Re: eyesight

Postby dixieangler » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:42 am

Well, about only two of the senses actually works well for me. Hearing and touch. LOL I can hear things most folks can't. It really unnerves some folks when they find out that they think they are out of earshot but are not out of my earshot. I can feel things through my skin though. My sense of smell and my sense of taste doesn't work very well due to chronic sinus and I have to wear glasses due to poor eyesight (nearsighted). So I guess that's only two out of five. Not very good for me either, KOTF.
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Postby Kingoftheflock » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:39 pm

my ears are good but my smell and vision are off. im hoping on getting that lasek eye surgery someday. its about the only form of surgery id get. the rest of the cutting edge crap can cut themselves.
Kingoftheflock

Postby paul vallandigham » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:16 pm

YOu can improve all your senses, by simply doing blindfold exercises, where you:

Exercise # 1: Sit down in the woods somewhere away from streets and traffic noises, where you are safe- and perhaps have a sighted friend sitting near you to keep an eye out for any danger. Begin by wearing the blindfold for at least 15 minutes.You will find that your hearing improves FIRST, then your sense of Smell and taste come on, after you have repeated this exercise several times. With each succeeding day of doing this exercise, extend the time you sit until you are sitting up to 2 hours.

When you open your eyes, you will find that you see more things than you did before you did this exercise, as well as hearing, smelling and tasting more things.

Exercise# 2: Have a friend string a rope around your yard, or a glen in the woods, from one tree to another, so that you can hold onto the rope as you walk the " course " blindfolded. Only, This time, Take your shoes and socks off, and then put on the blindfold. You will find that you learn to feel the ground that you never notice wearing shoes and boots. You learn to move so as not to step on sharp sticks or stones. You learn to feel more things with your hands and fingers, and begin to notice different textures you all but ignored when all you did was look at the trees, and bushes. And, being much closer to trees and shrubs on such a course, you find you notice the scents and odors of things better, and your taste buds will work in conjunction with your sense of smell.

This kind of course can be as long or as short as you have rope(s) to set out. The course can be along a known trail, or through the brush. In the process of learning how NOT to injure your feet, the student will also learn how to walk softer, and make little to no noise. You begin to notice alarm calls from all species of birds, and of certain mammals, like squirrels. And you notice, perhaps for the same time, that different species will react to those alarm calls, and once they establish that you pose a danger, they will join in giving out alarm calls. Later, you will hear alarm calls at a distance, and be able to locate where those calls originate. If you work at it long enough, you can find the tracks of the person, or animal that caused the alarm call to be given out, too. Where a bird is a bird, to your eyes, you will find that you begin to differentiate birds by the sound of their calls, and how high in the trees they roost- eventually learning that different species always roost and nest within certain height limitations in trees, so that you can identify the birds by their calls, and where they are roosting, without actually seeing the bird.

A lot of us are near sighted, or have other vision impairments.
paul vallandigham

Postby dixieangler » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi Paul, great to see your posts and your perspectives. Thanks for the tips. I would wear contact lenses but I hate eye infections so I wear glasses. LOL Really bad when the glasses get sweaty and I constantly have to clean them but better than not having them as I would only be able to see close up. Everything is a bit fuzzy far off (can't make out details). Close up, no problem. I think because of my chronic sinus (its with me every day) that my sense of smell and taste are too far gone for rehabilitation. I will give your exercises a try though.
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Postby Kingoftheflock » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:28 pm

YOu can improve all your senses, by simply doing blindfold exercises, where you:

Exercise # 1: Sit down in the woods somewhere away from streets and traffic noises, where you are safe- and perhaps have a sighted friend sitting near you to keep an eye out for any danger. Begin by wearing the blindfold for at least 15 minutes.You will find that your hearing improves FIRST, then your sense of Smell and taste come on, after you have repeated this exercise several times. With each succeeding day of doing this exercise, extend the time you sit until you are sitting up to 2 hours.

When you open your eyes, you will find that you see more things than you did before you did this exercise, as well as hearing, smelling and tasting more things.

thats some shaolin monk type stuff right there. i think ill try that. theres a perfect place near my aunts hose that has miles of woods that nobody uses. then i guess ill make due with the little plot of woods near my house when i get back. of course right now everything is so loud and unconfortable at this smal bech cottage jammed with people that i really cant focus on thinking about that kind of stuff. but ill try that. it sounds very interesting.
Kingoftheflock

Postby kailii » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:19 pm

My Apologies for not seeing this thread earlier, but there is still something to say about eyesight:

If you have to wear glasses (or contact lenses), you will have to notice over time that your eyesight worsenes. Maybe not every year, but most likely every 2 or 5 years. And it never ever gets better. Strange?

Your glasses are a helping tool. To help you see better? Of course, but there is a downside as well. Your eyes do not need to improve because the artificial lenses do all the work for your eyes. So they become lazy.

Try this one: Remove your glasses and position yourself near a TV set showing some running text. "Breaking News" or whatever. If you are near sighted, increase the distance between yourself and the TV set until you cannot make out any letters anymore.

Now relax. Close your eyes and try to think about about something positive in your life. Think about how much you love your wife and kids, or that sunny lazy evening on vacation. How about your first rewarding carving experiences?

Whatever. Open your eyes after a few minutes have passed and read those "Breaking News" on TV. You will be able to. Maybe just barely, but you cannot deny the fact that your eyesight has improved.

Because you just trained your eyes. Your glasses do the opposite. They do all the work for your eyes so they become lazy.

How about this: Get a second set of glasses next time or just keep your old ones. Use the old ones whenever possible, like when reading a book. Wear the new ones only when you have to, say when driving a car.

Go without glasses if you can. For me this means doing all the delicate wood fabrication stuff without them, as by now at the age of 45 i would need two sets anyway. But i don't use any glasses when setting up a wooden plane for example.

A final word on glasses: Don't use sunglasses if you don't absolutely need them. They go the same way as optical glasses, making your eyes lazy. And therefore your reactions, say when driving your car.

Besides all that, there are proven ways to increase eyesight by some esoteric or spirital means, but since these ways are barricaded by school medicine as we talk, i bow to these restrictions and will not talk about it on open internet forums.

(That last sentence came back bad: PM's won't help, lecture on those different ways won't be offered until the world has changed.)
kailii

Postby dixieangler » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:12 pm

This is one where I have to disagree, kailii. I just don't buy the therapy route because I have tried it. If my eyesight was not bad to begin with then I would not have needed corrective glasses but it is. No amount of training is going to correct them and I am no longer going to continue to strain my eyes for nothing. The straining does not improve my eyesight but does fatigue my eyes. My bad eyesight is probably due to years of reading (if not then it accelerated it) and my "natural" lenses have gone out of focus. Add the fact that the doctor said I have yellowing of the "natural" lenses from years of sun glare due to "not" wearing shades. So I also have a pair of corrective shades. Bad eyesight is not due to "lazy" eyes. It is probably due to overworked eyes although some of it is genetic. It is not like a lifestyle that I can change, it is a physical deficiency (maybe naturally occurring) and in some cases inherent. It is no surprise that bad eyesight gets worse over time. Most folks need corrective lenses of one kind or another at some point in their lifetime but some don't. The ones that don't can consider themselves fortunate.

It would be nice if bad eyesight was like a regenerative wound or injury that heals through therapy but it is not. No amount of therapy will realign my natural lenses. I would rather have bad eyesight than lose my eyesight from the possibility of a botched corrective eye surgery. I do not wear contacts due to the very real possibility of eye infection. I consider myself fortunate that I can see at all when so many folks can't despite my own handicap.
- Robert M.

dixieangler

Postby kailii » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:29 pm

I wasn't trying to sell you a "therapy route" as you call it, i wanted to introduce you into alternate ways of treatment by showing you some simple exercises that might lead you further.

Let's talk straight: If you believe your doctor totally, if you are absolutely sure that he and only he knows about your health, and that the only way to improve upon it is to do as he tells you, then this discussion is over. Because i am not a doctor.

But before we had our modern school medicine, there were alternate ways of treatment. A lot of it is still alive, like homoepathy in India. Homeopathy cannot work for scientific reasons your doctor will tell you, and of course he is right.
That is because the various substances used for curing are mixed with large amounts of water over and over again, so at the higher "potencies" as those witch doctors like to call it, there will be less than a single molecule inside one shot of this substance left. Of course this cannot heal.
Unless you ask those millions of people in India. Besides, homeopathy was very common for example in the USA until around 1850, when there was decided that there are more profitable means to treat people.

Or how about traditional chinese medicine, energy field working or Reiki? Those working the old ways are all inferior to modern school medicine? Maybe so, but how many pills does an average male at the age of thirty has to take every day these times compared to one 30 years ago?

As you can see i am asking questions. I do not provide answers, because you need to find those yourself. And i'll never propose to find those answers in esoteric or religious environments.

My aim was to give you a new start, a kickstart so to say.

But as long as you say
No amount of training is going to correct them and I am no longer going to continue to strain my eyes for nothing.

you are fighting your eyes, not trying to improve them.
kailii

Return to Limb Dominance