The Sling

Primitive style hunting - primitive-made bow & arrow, throwing sticks, spears, atlatl, fishing, traps and snares, stalking, etc.
*NO* discussion about guns or modern hunting weapons.

Moderators: admin, Walter Muma

Re: The Sling

Postby dixieangler » Sun May 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Running-Free wrote:So now that i have had a few hours of practice with my sling i found a technique that works for me... I don't swing over my head as a madman, but i swing it backwards (at my side, hip high) once, and than release in an underhanded throw... it's gonna take a lot more hours of practice, but for now i at least found a level of comfort where i trow all the stones in the same general direction at a fairly level trajectory...

so, there's progress... :mrgreen:

That's great. If its comfortable and works for you, then you have more chance of putting it where you want. I do like the sling so that when I hold it hanging at my side limp, the shot pouch just clears the ground to give you an idea of its length (not real exact). It ends up being relatively just shorter than the length of my leg I guess. Yep. I do the same thing roughly. Hip high. I do like to hold the shot pouch in my left hand before starting hip high so I don't start with the sling pouch above the ground at my side. Just one slightly above/behind the head side revolution (two at most), release, and the shot is on its way. Not your typical way to sling.

You want to see some real sling artwork? My slings are functional, not pretty. But these guys make works of art. They have a sling organization and web-site of their own I guess. lol Beware, it is loaded with photos (picture intensive).

SLINGS
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Re: The Sling

Postby dixieangler » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:15 pm

This 550 Paracord woven sling I made does not look as good as the one in the tutorial below but done the same way and it works great. I am a bit rusty with it after all these years. I am sure a woven natural Yucca cord or Agave cord sling could be done the same way. Keys to successful slinging for me have been: First, release point or timing. Second, focus and depth perception. Third, shot selection. Fourth, practice to infinity. Did I say practice? Oh, and since we really don't have "ideal" ammo or shot because of the rock deficiency here in FL, I have to make due with asphalt and concrete pieces, limestone and shellrock, and gravel and imported rock when I can find them.

http://slinging.org/index.php?page=5-st ... ---jeffrey

I will say that the author of the above tutorial makes it look and sound easier than it really is. It does take effort and manipulation to get the right shape of the shot pouch. Extending or shortening the five lengths as I go and tightening the weave as I go. I believe there is a mistake in the article where it states 4 inches for the weaving cord should be "4 feet" if use the full size 9 foot main cord. The general rule for length of the sling is the longer a sling; the greater the range, the shorter the sling; the greater the accuracy. I always start with my entire arm length and go from there. When I was a kid and slinging regularly every single day (I was proficient with the sling back then), my sling was made from the heal of an old canvas sneaker and two lengths of 100% nylon Mason's Line string. It was heavy duty canvas on the heal of the sneaker, just the right size already, and it already had a slight cup to it. Simply made but my favorite sling. I also had an endless supply of ammo at that time with railroad tracks nearby. The tracks lay on a bed or base of imported rocks.

The Primitive Technology fellow made one and practiced with it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Previous

Return to Primitive-Style Hunting & Trapping