Spring Snare

Primitive style hunting - primitive-made bow & arrow, throwing sticks, spears, atlatl, fishing, traps and snares, stalking, etc.
*NO* discussion about guns or modern hunting weapons.

Moderators: admin, Walter Muma

Spring Snare

Postby dixieangler » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 am

Yes, I have been playing with snares. I do know that it is far easier to set up fixed snares than spring snares but the spring snare has some advantages. The problem with the fixed snare is that if the noose is too big, the animal will walk through it and if it is too small, it just gets pushed aside. If the fixed snare noose is on the ground, an animal will just walk over it unless the noose is propped up slightly above the ground with twigs so the animal will get snagged on it. When an animal is on a fixed snare on the ground, it can be an easy meal for other animals so fixed snare need to be checked more often. It is easier for an animal in a fixed snare on the ground to chew through the snare or chew an appendage off to escape.

The spring snare takes more work and time to set up but can suspend an animal off the ground making it more difficult for other animals to get at it. It is harder for a suspended animal to chew through the snare. The spring snare automatically snares the animal and depending on the trigger set and noose set, will work every time. Other factors such as strong wind, nearby disturbances, and trigger problems will set off the spring prematurely so these too must be checked often.

Both must be checked regularly to make sure they are set and for any trapped animals.

Primitively, cord must be made. Lots of it and this takes the most time. More fixed snares can be set up faster. Less cord for each fixed snare. Spring snares take more cord for each snare and take longer to set up as more parts are needed taking more time. So more fixed snares can be set up than spring snares for the same amount of time.

It is better to make a long cord than a short one when setting up a spring snare or you will have to keep cording (extending) until you get the longer length needed. Make sure you have a strong anchor or it will get pulled out of the ground under cord tension or off a tree or other fixed point. I haven't done snares in a while so I ran into these two problems right away. Look for fresh animal sign first before doing any of this. I spotted numerous runs. I picked a fresh run that had rabbit sign (what I was after), raccoon sign (Oh, no :shock: ), and Deer sign on it. So I "could" conceivably trap any of those animals rather than what I was after. Then I set up. The spring snare I set was a Paiute trigger pressure snare using seasoned Scrub Hickory and Yucca cord. This particular spring snare has wood sticks used as a pressure plate and the noose on top so the animal will step on the plate inside the noose releasing the trigger. At first I tried using lashing (both Palmetto stem strips and Yucca leaf strips) rather than cord to save time. None of the lashing was strong enough to take the tension so I had to cord. I could have corded the Palmetto stem strips but it would have taken longer by hand twisting as those strips are too stiff to leg roll so I corded the Yucca leaf strips. I could have baited it with Palmetto cabbage to lure in the rabbit and the deer might also have been lured in. I doubt the raccoon would have found the cabbage appealing. Anyway, the snare worked great but I did not leave it set to catch anything this time. I left parts in place but not set with the cord. I also added debris on either side to make the run a funnel. I probably disturbed the run more than I should have but if I leave it a while, the animals will again get used to seeing the "new" debris and parts, altered run. So I could go back later and set it with little disturbance if I wanted. But it was time well spent even with all the mosquitoes and gnats in that area.
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Re: Spring Snare

Postby LDS » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Extremely unprimitive but something to keep in mind if you ever really do need a snare.

Bungee cords!

No perfect sappling needed, just an anchor point for the bungee cord. Just be careful that you don't sling the critter into the next county.

They are also useful as speargun power or spring powered crossbows.

I use bungee cords for securing my sleeping bag and use them to fasten much of my gear so it would be normal for me to have a couple around any camp.

As far as the cordage need goes, there is some assistance on that if you remember that you can remove your boot laces, cut one in half for continued use in your boots and use the other for snares.

It is even better if you have replaced your boot laces with 550 cord. You can remove the strands from inside and use them for snares and get 7X the length plus still have the outside wrapper.
Come to the dark side, we have cookies!
LDS

Postby dixieangler » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:17 pm

LDS wrote:As far as the cordage need goes, there is some assistance on that if you remember that you can remove your boot laces, cut one in half for continued use in your boots and use the other for snares.

Yes but I did not want to use those unless absolutely necessary. Since I have the natural cordage option, I take that first rather than messing with my firebow cords for snares. lol

LDS wrote:It is even better if you have replaced your boot laces with 550 cord. You can remove the strands from inside and use them for snares and get 7X the length plus still have the outside wrapper.

I know there are advantages to having the inner cord of 550 but that inner cord also works its way out of the outer cord between the weaves and you end up with a messed up cord. I prefer a solid weave cord that does not get messed up when using it for a firebow cord like the 550 does, specifically small engine pull/starter rope. It is rot/mildew resistant, abrasion resistant, and super strong.

LDS wrote:Bungee cords!

Yes bungee cords also have multiple uses.
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Postby LDS » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:36 am

It is a difference in the perception of survival Dixie. My chances of being trapped naked in the great north woods and having to walk 100 miles out like survivorman are ZERO. The closest I will ever come to being "gearless" is an airplane ride.

My concept is building one fire, probably with the Bic lighter in my pocket of the spark rod on my key chain, and keeping it going until I am found, setting a few snares or limb lines for fish in case it takes a couple of days. If SAR can find an autistic 9 year old in 48 hours they can find me and my smoky fire.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/search-continu ... d=14827692

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011 ... r-1417760/

In an emergency situation I am sure I will come closer to having the lighter or my keychain in my pocket than a lawn mower pull rope. I will probably also have on my belt, which is woven from 550 cord. I have many times stripped out the core and used the sheath for a firebow. That belt has 100 feet of line so I can sacrifice a foot.

One fire, close to wood and water, is all I want. After that I'm not going anywhere. It used to be that the first rule when lost was "STAY PUT". That long cherished standard advice seems to have gone out the window for the drama needed for reality TV. It also demands building numerous fires and searching for water constantly.
LDS

Postby dixieangler » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:53 am

LDS wrote:It used to be that the first rule when lost was "STAY PUT". That long cherished standard advice seems to have gone out the window for the drama needed for reality TV.

That is the truth. Stay put.

I can only test traps now and they are highly illegal even with just natural materials. I can't set them because of state hunting/trapping regs and laws. But the regs and laws don't say I can't make and test them. If it is on my property then no worries but realistically how much property does the average person have? Not much so we have to use public lands. If in a real life or death survival situation, I would not even think about the regs, laws, and licenses. I do what I have to if I want to live. Worry about the regs and laws I may have broken later if I am still alive.

Kind of reminds me of one of my favorite scriptures. lol Christ said,
"And he said, Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! For ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers." Luke 11:46 Luke c. A.D. 60
- Robert M.

dixieangler

Postby LDS » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:05 am

Quite true Dixie.

It always amuses me to see someone write that one should ALWAYS obey the game laws, which is a solid statement that they do not understand the game laws.

Modern laws of "fair chase" are built to make hunting as difficult as possible. The law eleminates almost all the normal survival methods of taking game and they do it on pourpose in order to give the game unfair advantage over the individual hunter.

I understand why it is done. It is to preserve the species and "manage" the game, guarenteeing that furture generations are bewildered because they can not spot Bambi except as a fleeting flag bouncing through the trees.

The noble Native American practiced harvest methods that would shake a liberal to the bottom of their flop-flops. Mass slaughter over cliffs, stampeding them into pens and box canyons, jacklighting along rivers, gill netting, poision if necessary, and even freezing knives in a chumk of blood so wolves would lick it and cut their tounges open and bleed to death.

As far as I know anly Alaska has provision for taking game any way you can get it in a survival situation without consciquence.

Using those methods in "Normal" times and using them in emergencies are different matters and in order to do so efficiently means practice. Oddly, some of the most useful survival gear is illigal to even own under normal circumstances!
LDS

Return to Primitive-Style Hunting & Trapping