types of flintknapping knives

Flintknapping: making primitive knives, spearpoints, arrowheads, etc.

Moderators: admin, Walter Muma

types of flintknapping knives

Postby Kingoftheflock » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am

im pretty vague when it comes to flintknapping, and since im bored out of my mind and i cant sleep, i was thinking. does anyone here have a perferred shape to flintknap a rock into a knife? i was thinking that striaight out carrot shaped style, but i wasnt ever sure.
Kingoftheflock

Re: types of flintknapping knives

Postby coon4492 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:08 pm

knives are one of the hardest things to flintknapp in my opinion even with modern flintknapping tools. I made a skinning knife shaped one but it was pretty easy because it was close to an arrow head in shape. The carrot shaped ones are the best looking kind but I can never find a stone long enough to make one. I wanted to make sort of like a stone dagger but I need a good stone first. I order flint of flintknappingtools.com (I also got my tools there) they give you a box of heat treated stones but they are usually only big enough to make an arrow head or small knife. Maybe if I stopped cheating and ordering flint I could find a stone thats long enough but I can never find good material to work with. this guy on primitive edge arts makes nice knives check this one out Image
"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Kingoftheflock » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:16 pm

that is pretty nice
Kingoftheflock

Postby coon4492 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:38 pm

yea when i got back from the AT I grabbed a rock thats flintknappable I ran the risk of getting bitten by a timber rattlesnake to get it though so the damn thing better be a stone dagger :twisted:
"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Kingoftheflock » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:19 pm

why did you see it or something?
Kingoftheflock

Postby coon4492 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:36 am

yea long story I was by a state game lands and the pinnacle mountain. This expert biologist was out there studying the snakes he had some crazy pictures of them on his camera he showed us. He told me he was finding these timber rattlesnakes with more black coloring. He had to move a few off the road so people didnt run them over (and the locals purposley run over them which pissed him off). Anyways there were stones everywhere most of which could be flintknapped and as I grabbed a few I heard and saw a timber rattlesnake so I just stood still for a moment then slowly backed out of there. Lucky thing he didn't jump at me.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Kingoftheflock » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:19 pm

id run them over on purpose too damn snakes. i never liked the big mean poisonous ones.
Kingoftheflock

Postby OzaawaaMigiziNini » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Crack a flake off a stone. Done. Knife :wink:
And when they heard of the dead, some mocked... and others said we will hear thee again, of this matter - Acts 17:32
OzaawaaMigiziNini

Return to Flintknapping